Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Holiday Celebrations Wordful/Wordless Wednesday

It was a kind of whirlwind weekend.  I keep thinking how fast the 4th came & went.  It never fails that time passes quicker each year that goes by.  It's kind of sick, not cool sick, sick sick.  Slow doooooowwwn.

The jello shots were a huge hit.  One of the couples that were at the party I went to Sunday had had their share of jello shots the night before and the jello shots lost their luster (I won't tell the story, funny as it is, because it isn't mine to tell.  Let's just say the wife couldn't find the bathroom in their house, but who needs one if you really have to pee!!  15 jello shots at the night's end will do that to you.).  After they had one - they were sold on them.  I found this website called My Science Project.  I was not going to make the shots (cause it was optional - it always is when you bring stuff to a party) but after I found the recipe, I had to.  If you get a chance to look around the website, do.  They have done lots of experimenting with the jello shots.  What flavors work best together & the like.

I'm not a food photographer & that will show, I also didn't do step by step pics cause I forgot.  But here are a few:

 Before the cream was leveled

 Adding the Berry Blue liquid for the one above & the one below


 The finished product.  How festive, no?

My recipe:
1 box each red raspberry & berry blue jello mix (3 oz. pkgs)
1 tub of cool whip
Either super mini-marshmallows (opt for the super minis) or cut some up (this is a real pain in the ass, let me tell you! But using water to douse the knife repeatedly & my fingers, it was doable)
My alcohol mixtures:
Raspberry - 1/4 c of Watermelon Pucker & 3/4 c of Raspberry vodka (can use pucker, too)
Berry Blue - 1/4 c of Lime Vodka & 3/4 c of Blue Curacao
50 pack of plastic shot cups
A popsicle stick

Boil 1 cup of water and dissolve the package of red raspberry jello in it.  Let the mixture cool to room temp.  Add the 1 cup mixture of alcohol to the room temp jello.  Pour into the shot cups, refrigerate for at least 90 minutes.  Once set, add cool whip using a popsicle stick.  Fill the cup to about 2/3, then level the cool whip as good as you can so no peaks will stick through the blue jello.  Return to the fridge. 

While the raspberry is setting in the fridge w/the cool whip, prepare the berry blue jello as you did the raspberry.  At room temp, add the 1 c of alcohol mixture.  Pull out the set cups & gently pour the berry blue mixture onto the tops.  I used a tablespoon measuring spoon, but a kitchen syringe might be a good idea.  Let the blue jello set until tacky (around 30 - 45 minutes or so) then add the cut up marshmallows.

50 shot cups were the perfect amount for this recipe.  I added a little bit extra Lime Vodka for the berry blue, maybe an extra 1/4 c, so the mixture was more like 1 1/4 c total.  & after reading the website I mentioned above, you can do that.  The jello's consistency did not alter a noticeable amount.  It was firm enough for the shots.

I didn't want to get drunk, so I didn't have 15 of them.  I did have a few & they are a different joy as far as jello shots go.  The cool whip makes them more like a dessert shot.

I said will never make them again, but it was kinda fun.  So I might.

Wait, there's more...

My kids this weekend:














She's way in the back, see her? Water wings 
& all.
 Pool bully!
He loves being in the pool.  I couldn't get him out.
 Smoke Bombs
 Smoke bombs!
 Sparklers!
 Sparklers!
A roman candle.  I got lucky with the shot.










  
This one looks like a flower.

Join everyone for Wordful/Wordless Wednesday




       and then, she {snapped}

14 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

I have NEVER had jello shots! And I want some. Like, NOW!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Very festive.

The Sisters' Hood said...

You party girl you!
Thanks for your comment on my blog today, couldn't reply back since you have the no reply set on your email (do you know how to remove that?)

The reason I posted the comment back was because the original post was in response to an attack on a friend who had linked her post the week before. And so I did a post that I linked up about being nice in someone's bloghome ... and this comment came on that post.
Also, I wanted them to KNOW that they were not in fact as anonymous as they had thought - and NOT come back.
Its all good, I love my readers, and their bloggy love - they make it all worthwhile :)

Lex the mom said...

Yeah, I haven't had a jello shot in ages!!! Until Sunday. They were a treat.

Thanks, Secret mom!

W O M Musing Mama - I don't know how to turn that (reply) on (off), if anyone does, I could use that bit of advice. If I came across kinda off, I didn't mean to. I do that a lot, without intention. It's just in the way I type & I don't know how to fix that, either.

Stasha said...

Those shots look great. Did they get you tipsy fast?
You know how to throw a party, look at those smiles!!

Heidi said...

Um yeah, delicious and festive AND alcoholic? I'm there.

Lex the mom said...

Stasha - they actually didn't, the alcohol content is 50% diluted with jello & the Puckers/Curacao have low alcohol volume, anyhow. They were more tasty than intoxicating. (Pucker/Curacao - 27-40% alc by volume, vodkas 71% alc by volume) A good thing because I don't like to drink all that much, hate the drunk feeling.

Thanks, Heidi! You're invited next time. :)

Jamie W said...

jello shots ===> dangerous!! those look delicious though!

:) thanks for commenting on my blog!

:)

Jingle said...

Those look AWESOME! And they sound super yummy, too! Great ingredients! It looks like you had a great time! Oh...and as for the fireworks you saw in my photos ... those were another town over, not the ones we were there to see! LOL! It was cool to see them in the distance!

Courtney said...

How fun! Looks like you had a great holiday!

Ashley Sisk said...

Those jelly shots looks tasty and patriotic!

Momfever said...

I love those jelly shots! I'm impressed.
And it looks like you had a lovely day.
Thanks so much for visiting me at momfever, I'm here returning the favour!

Marla said...

These look delicious. :)

Marla @ www.blueskiesphotoblog.com

Carri said...

Yummy! I love jello shots but I've never seen anything like that!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for The Life and Crimes of a Mom