Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Listicles - My Favorite Sci-fi

Head on over to The Good Life to add your own fun list.

This week, I'm going with some of my all time favorite Science Fiction shows, most of them are recent.  I didn't have a hankerin' for anything Sci-fi until 11 grade.  I decided to take, of all types of classes, a Science Fiction class.  I figured it would be cake & I needed a good elective.  I didn't expect that I would excel in & enjoy that class.  The first book I read for an assignment was The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.  While I don't remember it like I should, I do remember being enthralled by the stories within it.  I aced several reports & it put my GPA in good standing for that first quarter of school.  I dropped out shortly thereafter, but went to another school instead.

Most of these are relatively new shows.  I know there are plenty of old shows that deserve some cred here, but I'm just wanting to tell you about my recent faves. 

In no particular favorite order:

1. The X Files - no need to explain this one.  Fox Mulder was enough reason to watch.  I miss the abduction tales, the weird happenings & the Smoking Man.

2. The Outer Limits the one revised by Showtime in the early 90s.  The original is good, too, just not one of my faves.

3.  Haven - a newer show, only in it's second season, but so cool!  It's based on Stephen King's short The Colorado Kid.  The people in Haven suffer from "troubles".  One particular woman was a taxidermist.  She was angry for some reason or another (can't remember why) and all of her "clients" were coming back to life & killing people.  The sheriff (now, cause his dad died & was the sheriff before) has no sense of touch, can't feel anything.  He's one of the troubled.  Emily Rose (from John from Cincinnati - another oddball show that only lasted one season - but I liked it) is FBI agent (or something) Audrey Parker who shares the memories of the real FBI agent Audrey Parker whom we met for the first time at the end of last season.

4.  Warehouse 13 - another new show - maybe 2nd or 3rd season, it is a warehouse that safely houses artifacts from history that have special attributions, or dangerous powers.  It's so much fun!!  The agents work for a curious woman called Mrs. Frederic.  She controls the warehouse & oversees the agents.  Lots of humor in the show.

5.  Stargate SG-1 - the series on Showtime before it was bought by Scy-fy.  The episodes with Richard Dean Anderson were the best episodes.  Once the original cast was broken up, I didn't watch.  Most of the original cast came back, but it was hard for me to get back into it without the boss.

6.  Alphas - another new show on Scyfy.  It just premiered a few weeks ago & I love it!  It's about "special" people.  I never watched Heroes, couldn't wrap my head around it - but this show may be along the same lines.  The Alphas are special in some way or another.  One of the main characters has heightened senses, she can smell, feel & see things that are long gone.  Another main character has super human strength, yet another has the ability to "push" people, manipulate minds.

7.  Torchwood - Miracle Day - brand spankin new to Starz.  I fell in love with this show right away, too.  One day, they call it Miracle Day, people just stop dying.  People who should be dead can't die, no one can die.  Basically all of humanity has become immortal.  In the last episode a woman who was speaking out against the "dead" was crushed in a car crusher.  The very end of the episode saw her eye peeking from behind bent metal.  Torchwood is a group of people who are trying to figure out what or who is behind Miracle Day & how to get people to die again.

8.  Sliders - OMG!  Jerry O'Connell after so many years (totally only remembered him from Stand By Me).  I used to love this show & was sad to see it end too soon.  I love time travel stuff, but not Dr. Who.

9. Fringe - amazing newer show, in the same vein as the X-Files with mysterious creatures & alien interference.  It's also multi-dimensional.  There have been some outstanding episodes that are ripe with creativity & neat-o tv programming, like stuff you only expect to see in movies.

10.  Millenium - not entirely sure if this would qualify, but the lead character was an FBI profiler had the ability to get into the minds of serial killers & liaisoned with a mysterious group that was focused on the end of the world, the Millenium Group.  It only lasted 3 short seasons.  I was a fan.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for The Life and Crimes of a Mom